NEWS

Italy tells Egypt: Regeni murder an “open wound”


October 31, 2016
488 Views

The case of Italian student Giulio Regeni, who was tortured to death in Cairo earlier this year, is an “open wound”, Italy’s foreign minister said last week.

Italian and Egyptian prosecutors met several times to exchange information relating to their investigations, and made a joint statement in September declaring a “common commitment” to bring to light what happened. But the minister said Italy was “not satisfied” with the outcome of the meetings, adding that it was “not by chance” that Rome had recalled its ambassador from Cairo in April.

The ambassador was recalled for consultations to protest what it said was the slow pace of the investigation and the perceived lack of cooperation.

Regeni, a 28-year-old Italian PhD student who was researching Egyptian trade unions, went missing in Cairo on the evening of 25 January, the fifth anniversary of the 2011 uprising that overthrew former dictator Hosni Mubarak.

His mutilated body was found a week later at the side of a road on Cairo’s outskirts, suggesting he died of torture. The Egyptian government has strongly denied having any involvement.

Rights groups, such as Amnesty International, have said Regeni is among hundreds of people who have disappeared in Egypt over the past year.

Related Items